[Bash-completion-devel] [bash-completion-Bugs][313202] Verbose (set -v) pours compgen message onto screen. Seems to trigger known bug.

bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org
Sun Jul 3 10:36:36 UTC 2011

Bugs item #313202, was opened at 2011-07-03 18:36 by Ali Bahar
You can respond by visiting:
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=413095&aid=313202&group_id=100114

Original bug number:

Initial Comment:
Hi,

when I set Verbose mode (set -v) in bash (version 4.2.0, though I have tried an earlier one), completion causes a lots of messages being poured out onto the screen.
In the following, I typed 'cd wi' followed by a single TAB, which ought to have expanded to wireless-testing. It does expand it, but it also, annoyingly, pours out the following:

him at hashbang Sun Jul 03 18:29:37 ~# echo $-
echo $-
ahimvBCH
him at hashbang Sun Jul 03 18:29:39 ~# cd wicword=1
words=( "${COMP_WORDS[@]}" )
words=("${@:3:2}")
cword="$3"
cur="$3"
cur="$3"
_rl_enabled mark-directories && echo y)
_rl_enabled mark-directories && echo y
 bind -v )"
 bind -v )
 bind -v
_rl_enabled mark-symlinked-directories && echo y)
_rl_enabled mark-symlinked-directories && echo y
 bind -v )"
 bind -v )
 bind -v
 compgen -d $i/$cur )
 compgen -d $i/$cur
 compgen -d $i/$cur )
 compgen -d $i/$cur
 compgen -d $i/$cur )
 compgen -d $i/$cur
 compgen -d $i/$cur )
 compgen -d $i/$cur
 compgen -d $i/$cur )
 compgen -d $i/$cur
 compgen -d $i/$cur )
 compgen -d $i/$cur
 compgen -d $i/$cur )
 compgen -d $i/$cur

        compgen -d -- "$quoted" | {
            while read -r tmp; do
                # TODO: I have removed a "[ -n $tmp ] &&" before 'printf ..',
                #       and everything works again. If this bug suddenly
                #       appears again (i.e. "cd /b<TAB>" becomes "cd /"),
                #       remember to check for other similar conditionals (here
                #       and _filedir_xspec()). --David
                printf '%s\n' $tmp
            done
        }
    )

[...]

This is coming from /etc/bash_completion. I have tried Debian Squeeze's (6.0.2) installation of bash-completion as well as version 1.3 which I downloaded just now.
To be honest, I can get to the bottom of this, but I have too many other things on my plate already. So I'm hoping you guys will take care of this.
Thanks much.
Let me know if you need any testing, though it seems ot be known behaviour/bug.