[Bash-completion-devel] sh completion failure

Robby Workman rworkman at slackware.com
Tue Mar 1 22:02:26 UTC 2011

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011, Ville Skyttä wrote:

> On 03/01/2011 07:07 PM, Robby Workman wrote:
>> I received (and confirmed) this from a user today:
>>
>> "sh /etc/rc.d/rc.my<tab>" *should* give "/etc/rc.d/rc.mysql"
>> but does not.  In fact, tab completion of pretty much anything
>> with "sh ..." seems broken in 1.3.
>
> Well, "broken" is a quite strong word - the sh completion intentionally
> completes only on *.sh files, which is quite consistent with our other
> completions.

Hrm, okay...  I didn't mean to offend with using "broken" - I guess I should
at least clarify the intent of the word.  Several of us just recently started
using bash-completion regularly, and compared to the completion features we
get from just plain bash, this particular area is "broken" for us.

> What do others think, is sh a special case in a way that it should complete
> on all files?  Doing that would be easy, probably just replace "_filedir sh"
> with "_filedir" at end of completions/sh.

Well, I suppose *we* could do that (at the distro level), but yeah, I'm
also interested in what everyone else thinks...

-RW