[Bash-completion-devel] [bash-completion-Bugs][311982] bash completion breaks glob completion

bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org
Sun May 1 17:27:28 UTC 2011

Bugs item #311982, was changed at 2009-09-27 10:30 by Ville Skyttä
You can respond by visiting:
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=413095&aid=311982&group_id=100114

Original bug number:

Initial Comment:
Reported in private mail to me by someone, here's a translation to English:

----

I have the latest development version of bash-completion installed.
One pretty clear problem with it is that with certain commands, *foo*TAB does not seem to work.

For example, in a dir containing a pile of mp3 files, the command
ls *Talvi*TAB
does not produce any visible results, whereas the command
audacious2 *Talvi*TAB
completes the command line to
audacious2 159\ Talvinen\ tarina.mp3

bash --version
GNU bash, version 4.0.28(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)

----

Regarding the above two cases, bash-completion does nothing to audacious2 and it works as the reporter expects.  bash-completion however does install completion for ls.

I don't have any ideas how to fix this offhand.

Date: 2011-05-01 20:27

Message:
Something like the attached patch is part of the solution, however it's incomplete as it only works for _filedir invoked on files; at least _filedir -d and _filedir_xspec need to be handled as well, ditto probably cases where completions do filename/dir completion themselves without using these functions.