[Bash-completion-devel] What commands make "mv *<TAB>" and "cd $HOME/d<TAB>" not completable?

Peng Yu pengyu.ut at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 21:23:43 UTC 2011

Hi,

I enabled bash completion by unsing ". /etc/bash_completion" in my
.bashrc. I'm not able to complete 'mv *<TAB>', if there are files in
the current directory. I'm also not able to complete "cd
$HOME/d<TAB>", if there is a directory data in my home directory. Does
anybody know what commands in /etc/bash_completion cause these two
problemes.

The header of  /etc/bash_completion is the following. My OS is ubuntu 11.04.

#
#   bash_completion - programmable completion functions for bash 3.2+
#
#   Copyright © 2006-2008, Ian Macdonald <ian at caliban.org>
#             © 2009-2011, Bash Completion Maintainers
#                     <bash-completion-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org>
#
#   This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
#   it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
#   the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
#   any later version.
#
#   This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
#   but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
#   MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
#   GNU General Public License for more details.
#
#   You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
#   along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation,
#   Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.
#
#   The latest version of this software can be obtained here:
#
#   http://bash-completion.alioth.debian.org/
#
#   RELEASE: 1.3