[Bash-completion-devel] Towards dynamic completion loading

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon Oct 24 17:41:54 UTC 2011

On 10/24/2011 01:21 AM, Igor Murzov wrote:

> Also how you want to distinguish among different programs with the same name?
> Is the path to a binary really makes any sense for this?

For some case such as init.d scripts it does, for many others it
doesn't.  Anyway, as said earlier, we don't "really need" this at the
moment because init.d scripts are handled otherwise, so I merged your
patch that removes it - we can easily bring it back if needed.

>>> This special case will not work if one do
>>> $ cd /etc
>>> $ ./init.d/rc.mpd st<TAB>
>>
>> That doesn't work in the master branch either.
>
> I know :) But this condition is incorrect anyway, and fixing it will make
> *every* call to _completion_loader() slower.

Well, I don't think one string glob match there is really measurable.
Some hairy stuff would be needed in "service" though - I don't think
this is really worth fixing, or at least I'm not going to spend time
doing it :)