[Bash-completion-devel] Making _filedir's fallback to everything optional

Raphaël Droz raphael.droz+floss at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 10:10:10 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 04, 2011 at 11:39:03PM +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Regarding this change:
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=bash-completion/bash-completion.git;a=commitdiff;h=14fc9f2
>
> I have been trying to get accustomed to this behavior for almost half a
> year now, but after far too many WTF moments I can now say that I
> definitely dislike it - it just makes things too inconsistent.
>
> Therefore, I am going to make it (= the behavior introduced by the patch
> above) optional in git.  I also have a strong opinion that it should be
> off by default.  Other opinions?

- I also think it is often confusing, because if the directory contains
sub-directories the code path is not taken (which often happen in my use cases)
- + we have Alt + /

About "off by default":
Should the behavior be activated on a per-completion basis (each command
can choose whether or not a catch-all fallback should happen if no
matching file is found) ?
(A pdf viewer probably won't choose to fallback on "any" file, but
mplayer and some others may benefit from this)
(but it may easily become a heavy code portion)

Raph