[Bash-completion-devel] Towards dynamic completion loading

Igor Murzov e-mail at date.by
Sun Sep 25 23:46:07 UTC 2011

> 1) Start splitting stuff in completions/ into smaller, preferably
> per-command files.  This is quite straightforward step for a lot of
> cases, and shouldn't be that intrusive change even though the rest of
> the steps would for some reason be delayed.

Can you explain why this step is necessary? In contrary, I thought about putting completions for X into one file as all X related tools complete similar things like displays, resolutions, outputs and so on.

> 3) Add our "default completion loader" function.

Again, why this required? `man bash` tells me:

"The -D option indicates that the remaining options and actions should
apply to the ``default'' command completion; that is, completion
attempted on a command for which no completion has previously been defined."

I don't understand what this actually mean, and don't see why this requires "default completion loader function".

Is there any convenient tutorial explaining dynamic completion loading functionality? It seems that I have missed something...

-- Igor