[Bash-completion-devel] [bash-completion-Bugs][313603] invoking make implicitly

bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org
Mon Apr 9 19:26:42 UTC 2012

Bugs item #313603, was opened at 2012-04-09 19:26
You can respond by visiting:
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=413095&aid=313603&group_id=100114

Original bug number:

Initial Comment:
Anonymous message posted by lb.waym at gmail.com

Hey. It seems bash-completion can lead to targets in makefiles being built without ever invoking make. It suffices to type "make <tab>" in order to get a list of possible targets.

This is how I can reproduce such behavior on my system:
1. Create a file 'makefile' with these contents:
#start of makefile
weird_file:
   touch weird_file

include weird_file
#end of makefile
2. Type "make " in its directory and hit <tab>

That's it. Now "weird_file" exists in that directory. Hitting enter is unnecessary.

I'm using bash-completion 1.99 and GNU make 3.82 from the official Arch GNU/Linux repositories. If other systems don't show the same behavior I can add more information about my system.

The GNU make manual says at http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Include :
If an included makefile cannot be found in any of these directories, a warning message is generated, but it is not an immediately fatal error; processing of the makefile containing the include continues. Once it has finished reading makefiles, make will try to remake any that are out of date or don't exist.

Thanks for bash-completion :)

best regards.