[Bash-completion-devel] Thanks for packaging bash-completion!

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 07:12:42 UTC 2012

I see on-demand completion loading has hit sid and testing at last -- hooray!

This is something I've been hanging out for, because it takes over two
seconds to load the old bash-completion on my netbooks -- long enough
that I made dash my login shell, loaded bash explicitly only when I
needed completion.[0]

Unfortunately my current netbook is a funky ARM thing that is running
ubuntu 11.10 until I find time to migrate it to wheezy.  Is it
feasible to just drop current wheezy bash-completion .deb into an old
ubuntu install?  I realize it's usually a stupid thing to try, but I
suspect bash-completion is fairly isolated and unlikely to break
anything.  Ubuntu 11.10 ships with bash 4.2 and bash-completion 1:1.3.

The Ubuntu-specific patches are pretty minimal (ignoring .pc quilt
noise), ref. http://packages.qa.debian.org/b/bash-completion.html

[0] my cow-orker suggested leaving bash as my default shell, and only
    already gotten using to having a "dumb" login shell :-)