[Bash-completion-devel] [bash-completion-Bugs][314009] There is no way to permanently disable completion for a single command

bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org bash-completion-bugs at alioth.debian.org
Wed Aug 14 21:25:33 UTC 2013

bash-completion-Bugs item #314009 was changed at 2013-08-15 01:25 by Igor Murzov
You can respond by visiting:
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=413095&aid=314009&group_id=100114

Original bug number:

Initial Comment:
I like having completion for many of the commands that are provided with this package, but some of them have completion that drives me crazy; for example, gdb's command line can be incredibly complex and tab completion on gdb just annoys the bejeebers out of me.

However, there's no way to disable completion just for a single command.  If I turn it off with complete -r gdb, then the next time I try to tab-complete on a gdb command line the default complete loader is invoked and it re-instates the completion script.

Bash-completion really needs a way for users to "opt out" of default completions for certain commands.  For example maybe the default completer function could check the command name to see if it's in a variable such as BASH_COMPLETION_DISABLE and if so, it would not look for a completion file to load.

Then I could add to my ~/.bash_completion file something like:

complete -r gdb
complete -r foo
complete -r bar

BASH_COMPLETION_DISABLE="gdb foo bar"

and have it stick.  Or something like that.