[Bash-completion-devel] GNU tar completion

Pavel Raiskup praiskup at redhat.com
Thu Apr 17 13:14:34 UTC 2014

On Thursday 17 of April 2014 15:57:11 Ville Skyttä wrote:
> Just one comment for now:
>
> > +# Everything is parsed from `tar --help` output
>
> Have you tested this with tar implementations that don't do --help
> and/or output something very different for it than GNU tar, for
> example the Solaris and BSD tars?

Good point, I haven't test it.  I expected that it simply does not work.

> What's the expected outcome with them?  Even though the completion file
> says "for GNU tar", in practice it is being used with other tars as
> well.

That is fail, as I missed that the current completion code is in practice
used against other than GNU tar implementation.  If nobody beats me, I'll
Post yet another patch with some 'general' tar completion code.  That will
be used for 'bsdtar', 'star' and for 'tar' if 'tar' != GNU tar.

Pavel