[locales]Re: [Translate-devel] Bambara translations, and fallback to other language than English

Denis Barbier belocs-locales-data@lists.alioth.debian.org
Fri, 1 Apr 2005 23:08:44 +0200

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 02:21:42PM +0200, Dwayne Bailey wrote:
> Moving this across to translate-devel

Okay, let's continue there, translate-pootle is dropped.
Kasper Souren is Cc'ed because I do not know if he subscribed to this list.

> > > How do I create one? I'll probably also need to find out how to do some
> >
> > Manually..:-)
> >
> > I'm not aware of dedicated tools for locales creation. So, yes, this
> > is a very painful process. Maybe ask in the translate-devel mailing
> > list about that. I think that Dwayne (Bailey) and/or David (Fraser)
> > can guide you to tools.
[...]
> I have locale files that have languished as bug reports against glibc
> for months now.  Not sure who to prod on that.

It seems that these bugreports are ignored until someone reliable (from
glibc developers' point of view) send a patch to libc-alpha.  Glibc
developers are very conservative, they do not want to make changes
unless it is proven worthwhile (either by giving references or if a
trusted person sponsors these changes).
I tried to help, but disliked how all this happens, so I am trying
another way by forking these locales, see
    http://alioth.debian.org/projects/belocs

At the moment, this fork is on its very early stage (this project was
created a couple of days ago ;)) but I am working on it for months.
It is Debian-centric because I am the only contributor for now, provide
Debian packages (which are an alternative to the official locales
packages) and the other vendors seem to believe that this cannot work
because localedef should not be splitted from glibc sources.
Of course it will be made more distro-neutral if other vendors are
interested in maintaining these locales.

This project will try to gather a community of people interested in
improving these locales, and I will be glad to help writing and
shipping any locale.

Denis