[Blend-fluxbox-devel] questions about git, file ownership, etc

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun Jan 17 05:20:32 UTC 2016

Quoting Stephan Foley (2016-01-17 09:20:39)
> [Jonas Smedegaard]
> > * All Debian developers have git write access
>
> I don't understand this part. Does it mean any Debian developer can
> come and switch icewm for fluxbox as they please?

Yes.  But I don't see why anyone would wanna do that.  It would be
public who did it, and we would all have a backup in our personal clones
of the git so could easily revert such change.

> Wouldn't some type of cascading chain of command work better were
> teams submit to a group leader who then submits to the next higher
> level...like a pyramid...(of course, we would have to have 20+
> developers to need such a scheme)

NB! Asking a negative question shifts the burden of defending the sanity
of the question from the person asking to the person being asked.

Well, since we are all admins, any of us can choose to demote some or
all others to less powerful roles.  Wether or not that would be fruitful
I don't know - I can only say that quite likely the first thing
happening when I discover such a move is that I myself pull out from the
team entirely.

Another less drastic approach among the same line of logic (which in
fact happened in the Debian multimedia team) is that you could demote
yourself to a less powerful role.  If you did that, I wouldn't like that
eithr but would likely stay in the project.  Newcomers to our project
might then be granted only that less powerful role initially - depending
on which of us admins was granting access to the newcomer, and if that
happened I might back off from the project.

In short: Maybe a more hierarchical structure (and its inherent power
games) attracts some people, but it certainly discourages others -
myself included.

Since Debian itself has very flat structure, it made sence for me to
mimic that approach in our team.

 - Jonas