[Blend-fluxbox-devel] in the team

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun Jan 17 08:02:11 UTC 2016

Quoting Stephan Foley (2016-01-14 00:00:29)
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 9:12 PM, arpinux <contact at arpinux.org> wrote:
>> xhat are we allowed to do in a "blend" project ?
>>
>> can we only produce a "package-mix" of main Debian repositories, or
>> are we allowed to produce some meta-packages for fluxbox default
>> theme, for menu scripting, for wallpapers setup, for fluxbox-panel
>> upgrade ...?
>>
>> how much can we configure user and system default setup ?
[...]
> Right now, I am thinking a blend should contain only what is in the
> repos and follow Debian policy regarding configuration. It is a
> question I am still trying to get a grip on, since we will want to
> configure a lot of stuff, but unless there is a plugin system, I'm not
> sure how we will go about doing it.

See <https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPureBlends#Terminology> for
definition of the terms "Debian blend" and "Debian pure blend".

The real question to ask is not where the boundary lies, but instead
whether or not we wanna become fully integrated into Debian or not.

Assuming we do want to become fully integrated into Debian, what makes
best sense to me is to *concurrently* develop a Debian blend and a
Debian pure blend: Pick packages to install, and express tweaks to
apply, and then for the pure blend skip non-free packages and tweaks.

When done initially composing our blend, we then have an overview of
which tweaks we would like to get integrated into Debian, and we can
start look at how that is doable - and perhaps redesign our blend to
choose approaches easier to integrate.  Likely integration of many
tweaks will enter Debian through integration with existing packages
maintained by various Debian developers - and we can then prepare
patches and file bugreports against those packages.

 - Jonas