[Bootcd-user] (no subject)

Thomas Krennwallner djmaecki@ull.at
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:12:45 +0100

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+

Hi!

On Mon Oct 27, 2003 at 08:08:30AM -0500, azajac@vif.com wrote:
> I am trying to boot from a cdrom and then to use a cdburner. To do
> this, I want to enable scsi emulation for all cdrom drives (since I
> will not always know which drive is the burner and which one it the
> reader.)
>=20
> If I enable scsi emulation, I cannot boot from the cdrom.  It gets
> stuck and cannot find the root filesystem at scd0...
>=20
> I tried to use an initrd which included the neccessary modules
> (ide-scsi...) without any luck...  Any ideas?  Would including a
> script after the bootcdinitrd (discover) script to remount root on
> scsi (/dev/scd0) work or is that not at all the problem?

If I understand you correctly you are searching a method for searching
the "real" cd drive which is booting the bootcd. The only way I can
think of making this work is to list all available cd drives (maybe via
discover) in the initrd and mount each of them and seek for a unique
file at the mountpoint (say you mount the current drive to /mnt you will
then search for /mnt/MyBootCD or so). If this script finds the file on
the disc it will umount it and sets the real_root_path in the procfs or
use such tool as pivot_root to declare the new rootfs and quit. The
kernel will then exec /sbin/init on the new rootfs and the usual boot
procedure starts.

So long
Thomas

--=20
 .''`.  Obviously we do not want to leave zombies around. - W. R. Stevens
: :'  : Thomas Krennwallner <djmaecki at ull dot at>
`. `'`  1024D/67A1DA7B 9484 D99D 2E1E 4E02 5446  DAD9 FF58 4E59 67A1 DA7B
  `-    http://bigfish.ull.at/~djmaecki/

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+--