[Bootcd-user] bootcd fails with kernel without initrd

Kushal Koolwal kushalkoolwal at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 23 21:40:51 UTC 2006

Hi,

Whenever I try to create a Live-CD (through bootcd) of my Debian Sarge
System(2.6.17) without initrd support, my Live-CD just fails in the
beginning itself.

I get the following error message:
VFS: Unable to mount root fs

Although my system boots fine from the regular hard drive without initrd
image in the menu.lst file, the problem comes only when I create Live-CD.
Also I do not get any warning/errors when I type bootcdwrite command.

I am attaching my kernel .config and bootcdwrite.conf file for the
configuration that I am using for without initrd support.

ALso, if I try to create Live-CD with initrd (after executing
bootcdmkinitrd), the CD boots fine.

Any ideas what I may be missing? I read the FAQ also in the
/usr/share/doc/bootcd folder but I could not figure out what's wrong.

Kushal Koolwal