[Bootcd-user] generic system rescue diskk

John Heim john at johnheim.net
Thu Sep 13 02:45:26 UTC 2007

I'm trying to make a generic system rescue disk. I want to do this because
many of the main live distros, grml, gentoo, and ubuntu, have dropped
support for kernel speech. You have to run the GUI speech in ubuntu. And
grml is a character based distro so it won't talk at all any more.

Anyway,  I was wondering if bootcdwrite is a good tool for creating generic
system rescue CDs. I created a 790 Mb partition  on my linux machine, did a
base install to this partition and configured speech, and then used
bootcdwrite to create a live CD from that partition.

It mostly works. One thing is that it doesn't work on machines with sata
hard drives. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the CD drive would be hda
in machines with sata drives. I am aware that you can specify hda or hdc at
the boot prompt but if you're blind, that's difficult. The screen reader
doesn't start until after the kernel loads.  There must be some way to have
it detect the CDROM drive because grml and the other live distros don't make
you specify the CDROM drive.

I tried using "auto" but that didn't seem to work on either machines with
IDE or with SATA drives.  Is that what auto is supposed to do?