Feedback on yesterday's run ? - Was: Re: For those who care about bts-link: call for adoption

Sandro Tosi morph at debian.org
Fri Jan 9 15:26:59 UTC 2009

Hi All,

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 11:32, Olivier Berger
<olivier.berger at it-sudparis.eu> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> What's your feedback on that run ?
>
> Any things that would need to be fixed/changed ?

Here some comments:

- added message-id (after dsa scolded me :D)
- we need to move away from files being rsync'ed/present on /org/ for
debian machine using SOAP interface
- the generation of forwarded bugs list is a little too much hackish
:) MadCoder suggested to ask Don (bts owner) to expose a SOAP api to
return all the bugs that are forwarder. Once we have that least we
query each bug and in case it's forwarded to a http url, we parse that
page to update the bts (this can be done in the parallel fashion as of
today)
- I've committed directly to 'master' code changes needed to run the
script on merkel (the debian machine that currently hosts QA stuff) so
it might not work on your machine anymore (if not reconfiguring it); I
added a script to run the code from merkel, to do all the commands
sequece in just 1 script (so that bin/ dir is completely not needed
anymore to run bts-link on a debian host)
- we need a better log, for now I think I'll add a " | tee log" to the
btspull command line (adding log to .gitignore) but once migrating to
soap, we could enhance a bit for example: "ERROR: bug #nnnnnn, url
<url>, <error message>" and "INFO: bug #nnnnnn, <well, write here some
info msgs>"
- we need to "clean up" all those urls that fail for us. For example,
understanding if the url is still valid or not, if the url has changed
(tracker and tracker2 for SF) or is "private" (not accessible for
"anonymous" users) and so. Once done, we can remove the forwarded link
(if not valid anymore), update it or add a tag to "skip" checking that
url (to avoid unneeded connections to other BTSes, that generates
traffic and can lead to blacklisting)

We even received the offer from Don to host bts-link into bts machine,
that is really nice and maybe I'd like to accept it, but once we are
in a "stable" state (for now, I can keep running it on merkel).

Well, for a first run it seems enough :) I hope to hear back form you,
and as usual "Patches are welcome" :D

Cheers,