Tracing bugs between distro's bugtrackers - Was: Re: Help bts-link be a more effective tool

Bastien ROUCARIES roucaries.bastien at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 11:55:47 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Olivier Berger
<olivier.berger at it-sudparis.eu> wrote:
> Le lundi 19 janvier 2009 à 07:12 +0100, Christian Perrier a écrit :
>> Quoting Bastien ROUCARIES (roucaries.bastien at gmail.com):
>> >
>> > I really useful stuff will be to use user tag in order to crossref
>> > another distrib bugzilla. For instance some bug are fixed on redhat
>> > like #506180 but not upstream.
>> > It will allow to automatize retrieval of information.
>>

>> Apparently, Launchpad has something like this, which is, for instance,
>> used to reference bugs also reported in Debian. We found this fairly
>> useful, recently, for Samba.
>>

> Any idea if they have some common interchange format for their
> bugs ? ... there looked like ideas about RDF export in the REST
> interface of launchpad... but that was not operational last tieme I've
> checked :(
>
> I'd be curious to see how such links between launchpad and debbugs would
> be represented, then.

See previous proposal :)

>> However, such feature should probably be included in the BTS itself
>> (new tag or something).
>>

> And :
>> FYI, that's the kind of features we're working on in the HELIOS
>> project
>> (more details here :
>> https://picoforge.int-evry.fr/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Helios_wp3/Web ).
>>

> [...]
>
>> We're currently trying to evaluate work that has been conducted by
>> others in the Nepomuk project to find if ontologies and RDF are
>> interesting to allow the representation of such meta-data about bugs
>> and
>> links between bugs in standard format.
>>

> Oh, I forgot to mention, that we're more or less planing to work with
> Mandriva people (who worked for that Nepomuk-related bug store
> prototype) in Helios... so I hope we'll be able to provide more links
> between Mandriva bugs and Debian bugs (and upstream bugs).

Mandriva use bugzilla and therefore bts-link will retrieve this kind of bug :)

> There would be some need for inter-distro work here, maybe... any ideas
> on where to discuss that much welcome ;)

Yes I agree, but I believe that it will need less than fifty line of
code in bts-link :)
So it will take more time to discuss than to code :)

Regards

Bastien