[Buildd-tools-devel] wanna-build SVN->buildd-tools CVS merge complete

Roger Leigh rleigh at whinlatter.ukfsn.org
Sun Nov 27 19:11:23 UTC 2005

Hi folks,

Over the last 24 hours, I've merged most of the changes from the
wanna-build SVN repository at http://svn.cyberhqz.com/wanna-build/.

The changesets I didn't merge were:
* 16 (buildd support, which we don't want at the moment, because our
  version currently has some buildd support removed).
* 30 and 41 (the same change; conflicts with our version, and I'm not
  sure if this should be merged, or we should push our version to
  Ryan)?  Any comments?
* 48 (not applicable; I merged $chroot_only for compatibility with
  the upstream sbuild.conf, but we already implement this better; we
  should push our implementation to Ryan).

Apart from that, I merged every change by hand, and it's all looking
good.  I've done basic testing and it appears to work, but I would be
grateful for anyone who could give it a good workout in case there are
any regressions.

For the next step, I'd like to reindent the souce to match upstream's,
and then we can go through sbuild with a fine tooth-comb and merge all
remaining upstream changes, and also push back the changes we want to
keep to Ryan.  Some changes we have made have also been made
independently upstream, and we'll need to decide which we want to keep
or drop in each case.

If anyone wants to help with this, you would be most welcome.  The
sbuild diff currently weighs in at 984 lines, so there's a lot to work
through.

A summary of the changes so far, from debian/changelog:

  * Sync with upstream SVN:
    - avg-pkg-build-time, avg-pkg-build-time.1, sbuild, sbuild.1,
      update-sourcedeps, update-sourcedeps.1: Update copyright notices with
      current FSF postal address.
    - sbuild:
      + Split changes files sent in the log every 989 characters, to better
        conform to mail RFCs.
      + Always show versions of installed build dependencies.
      + Always purge packages when building in a chroot.
      + Output purged packages line by line, rather than all at once.
      + Use strftime() and getpwuid() instead of the external commands
        date and whoami.
      + Use /var/lib/sbuild/apt.conf if it exists, and create it if it does
        not.  This fixes the problem of the root filesystem
        /etc/apt/apt.conf and /etc/apt/apt.conf.d directories being used,
        while the copies in the chroot filesystem are ignored.
      + Allow arch: all packages to be built when $main::build_arch_all
        is true.
      + Hardware DEBIAN_FRONTEND to "noninteractive" when installing and
        purging packages.
      + Fix support for '~' in version numbers.
      + Add Sbuild.pm (upstream WannaBuild.pm), and replace version_cmp()
        with Sbuild::version_compare().
      + Add REDO support for binNMUs.
      + Add stats generation for download+install, build and remove times.
      + Disassociate from the controlling terminal and make stdin /dev/null
        for the dpkg-buildpackage process.
      + Don't create entries to the sbuild log when a package claims to
        build an _all.deb, but doesn't.  Instead, warn to the build log.
      + Delete binary-all packages that we didn't ask to be built.
      + By default, set APT::Get::AllowUnauthenticated to "true".
      + Add $conf::chroot_only for compatibility with upstream, even
        though we don't use it ourselves.
    - sbuild.conf:
      + Remove watches.
      + Update alternatives.
      + Comment out example %individual_stalled_pkg_timeout.
      + Empty @ignore_watches_no_build_deps.
    - avg-pkg-build-space.1: Update text.
    - example.sbuildrc:
      + Remove $hack_changes_for_frozen.
      + Update comments.
  * sbuild.conf.local:
    - Use FHS-compliant pathnames, as in sbuild.conf.

Most of these changes has been committed separately, in case we need
to back any out.

Regards,
Roger

--