[Buildd-tools-devel] [patch] sbuild process group trouble

Roger Leigh rleigh at whinlatter.ukfsn.org
Wed Mar 8 12:12:56 UTC 2006

Roger Leigh <rleigh at whinlatter.ukfsn.org> writes:

> In a number of places, when sbuild forks/execs a child process, it
> calls setpgrp() in the child, between the fork and exec, in order to
> ensure the child runs in a separate process group.
>
> The attached patch is a proposed fix for this, which removes all of
> the setpgrp calls.  This appears to work just fine, but I'm reluctant
> to apply it without a full understanding of what the original use of
> setpgrp was intended to achieve.

I've applied this patch, because it does break builds without it.  It
also is likely the reasons for unexplained hangs in the past: if any
process attempted to read/write to stdin, they would be stopped due to
not being in the foreground process group.  This hasn't been a problem
for buildds, because buildd has no controlling tty, and it's almost
certainly incorrect.

If this does cause unexpected problems, it's simple to revert.

Regards,
Roger

--
Roger Leigh