[Buildd-tools-devel] Merging of buildd and sbuild repositories

Roger Leigh rleigh at whinlatter.ukfsn.org
Sun Jan 6 18:29:57 UTC 2008

Dear all,

Today, I merged the sbuild.git and buildd.git repositories together,
because buildd is going to need to start using and sharing code with
the sbuild perl modules.

** This means that all future buildd work needs to be done in the sbuild
** repository.

This means we can now fix up wanna-build, buildd and all the tools and
add them to the sbuild packaging (as separate packages).

In case you're interested how git can merge two unrelated repos,
preserving all history from both, here's how it was done:

# Clone sbuild repo
git clone git://git.debian.org/git/buildd-tools/sbuild.git
cd sbuild

# Import the master (actually, only) branch in buildd.git to a new
# buildd branch in our local sbuild repo
git fetch git://git.debian.org/git/buildd-tools/buildd.git master:buildd
# Switch to buildd branch
git checkout buildd
# Branch again to create a scratch branch for working on, then switch
# to it
git branch buildd-cleanup
git checkout buildd-cleanup

# Now reorganise tree in preparation for merge to ensure no conflicts
[reorg]
git commit

# Now switch back to master branch
git checkout master
# Merge our buildd-cleanup branch
git merge -m "Merge buildd history" buildd-cleanup
[Fix a single conflict in .gitignore]
git add .gitignore
# Commit merge
git commit

# Push all of the above to the git.debian.org repo
git push origin master

Regards,
Roger

--