[Buildd-tools-devel] schroot version 1.1.6 released

Roger Leigh rleigh at whinlatter.ukfsn.org
Mon Jan 21 01:09:59 UTC 2008

Hi folks,

schroot version 1.1.6 is now released.  It's tagged in git as
schroot-1.1.6.  I'll upload a version to the archive once sbuild has
built it.

This release does not contain any major changes, but it does fix a
number of longstanding wishlist bugs, which took longer than expected
to sort out.  From the NEWS file:

* Major changes in 1.1.6:

  1) Relicence under the GNU General Public License, version 3 or
     later.

  2) Per-chroot custom mountpoints are now possible through the use of
     an fstab file.  This may be used to mount or bind mount any
     filesystem within the chroot with the assistance of a helper
     utility, schroot-mount.  Set FSTAB=fstab in the script-config
     file to specify which file to use.

  3) Per-chroot custom file copying is now supported.  Set
     COPYFILES=file in the script-config file to specify a file
     containing a list of files to copy from the host system into the
     chroot.  This change merged the 20network and 30passwd setup
     scripts into a single script, 20copyfiles.  If you previously
     customised either of these scripts, the changes will need to be
     copied over to the new files.

  4) If invalid options are used in schroot.conf, warnings will be
     printed, rather than simply ignoring them.

It also includes an important fix for sbuild, namely the ability to be
certain if the chroot is cloned or not, and hence whether packages
need to be purged or not.  This is currently not reliable in all
circumstances, due to using heuristics.  A new version of sbuild will
be released to use this in the near future.

This release contains everything I wanted to get done for Lenny, bar a
few other small items (stricter permissions checks on files, and see
the TODO file).  As a result, I have branched schroot-1.2, which will
lead to the release of schroot-1.2.0 and additional point releases for
the lifetime of Lenny, including any needed security fixes.  There is
also a schroot-1.1 branch for any other 1.1 releases we might care to
make, but I anticipate the next release will be 1.2.0.  The master
head will be for development targetted at Lenny+1, and has been
changed to version 1.3.0.  We can, of course, merge any changesets we
like between the branches.

Regards,
Roger

--