[Buildd-tools-devel] Current work on sbuild

Roger Leigh rleigh at whinlatter.ukfsn.org
Sat May 17 15:04:53 UTC 2008

Hi folks,

Over the last week, I have been working on making the core code in
sbuild more maintainable in the future.  While this is still not
complete, I thought I should let you know what I've been doing so far.

The changes so far are available from

  http://git.debian.org/?p=users/rleigh/sbuild.git;a=summary
  (git://git.debian.org/git/users/rleigh/sbuild.git)

branch build-object.

Most of the recent changes focus on moving from using global variables
(main::*) to using a single hash (main::build_object) which contains
all of the state of a single build, plus the command-line options.

Once all of the global state has been replaced by the single object,
most of the function call parameters can be refactored to remove all
the redundant information being passed around (it's all in one place).
We can then convert this to a perl object and all the functions will
be class methods.  This will then allow further cleanup of the code.

It should then be rather easier to refactor the code to split it
further into small self-contained modules (e.g. dependencies and
dependency resolving, option parsing, logging, etc).

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh