[buildd-tools-devel] Problem building glibc with sbuild

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Wed Apr 22 11:13:05 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 12:40:57PM -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> Hey there!
>
> I have an sbuild setup for a buildd I'm building, and everything seems
> to be ok, except that I am having problems building glibc. This is what
> I have in the build log (notice the gawk failures):
>
> gawk: ../scripts/versions.awk:72: (FILENAME=- FNR=3) warning: pipe to `sort > /build/buildd-glibc_2.9-7-i386-rPLNT1/glibc-2.9/build-tree/i386-libc/Versions.tmp': could not set close-on-exec: (fcntl: Bad file descriptor)
> gawk: ../scripts/versions.awk:72: (FILENAME=- FNR=3) fatal: printf to "sort > /build/buildd-glibc_2.9-7-i386-rPLNT1/glibc-2.9/build-tree/i386-libc/Versions.tmp" failed (Bad file descriptor)

Hmm, that's really odd.

> The build seems to work correctly when I use schroot directly. I noticed
> that when I login to the chroot using sbuild-shell the output of
> commands is a bit weird (ls lists stuff in a single column, instead of
> with multiple columns as it would normally, and does with schroot).

sbuild-shell just runs /bin/sh in the chroot.  I just tried in mine, and
it does work correctly.

> The host is amd64, the chroot is a normal Debian i386 with no changes,
> and sbuild is configured to use i386. glibc is the official source
> package from Debian. Ideas?

Initial thoughts:

- Is sbuild configured to use schroot rather than sudo? ($chroot_mode)
- Is sbuild configured to use "split" mode? ($chroot_split)
- Is schroot configured to use the correct kernel personality?
  (personality=linux32)

I think the latter is most likely, but the file descriptor error is
really strange.

To check the exact command sbuild is running, you can run sbuild with
--debug (and you can also configure sbuild to run schroot with
debugging enabled: $schroot_options = ['--debug=notice']).  This will
make the build very noisy, but it might give you the exact command-line
arguments to make it reproducibly fail.

Regards,
Roger

--