[Buildd-tools-devel] schroot question

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 12:56:43 UTC 2009

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009, Roger Leigh wrote:

>> The folks on the autofs mailing list want debugging output from the
>> daemon under failing conditions.  What is the most expedient way to
>> enable system logging within schroot?
>
> If it's logging via the standard syslog facility, then simply ensuring
> the presence of /dev/log inside the chroot should be sufficient.

Roger,

I was able to get logging operational and at least one of my problems is
due to the automounter receiving a SIGUSR2 just after startup!  I cannot
find any place in the schroot code base where this could be coming from.
Does it ring any bells with you?

In the case where I establish the shell in a local directory and cd into
the automount hierarchy, things work ok. When I attempt to go directly
into the automount area (e.g. 'schroot -d /net/home/... ') it's seeing the
SIGUSR2 and exiting.  Very strange.

I cannot seem to get a straight answer out of anyone on the autofs list
regarding the apparent need to run a second daemon inside the chroot.  The
core developer lists can be VERY insular if they detect someone not deemed
to be an Alpha Geek :-).  I'm just "supposed to know.." how the VFS deals
with this sort of thing, I guess.

Steve