[Buildd-tools-devel] sbuild 0.58.0 released

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Mon Mar 9 17:32:23 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 11:51:21AM +0100, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 10:22:02PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
> >   6) Unless configured as a buildd ($sbuild_mode), when using sudo
> >      chroot access, chroots are searched for in /etc/sbuild/chroots.
> >      This directory should contain symlinks to the chroots, with the
> >      distribution name being the name of the symlink.  Buildd mode
> >      will continue to use the old method of current-$distribution
> >      symlinks in the current directory.
>
> current-$distro or chroot-$distro?  Because the latter is used on the
> official buildds.  (However TBH we will unify on neuro's buildd first
> anyway.)

Sorry, that was a mistake in the text.  It is current-$dist as it always
has been.  For users, we moved to a static set of symlinks since we now
allow building from any directory you like, so it doesn't make sense to
create symlinks in each and every directory you might want to run sbuild
in.

It would be possible to make this the method for the buildd mode as well;
I just kept it to be completely backward compatible.  But, if you were
to create the appropriate symlinks under /etc/sbuild/chroot, buildds
could migrate to this as well.  This is already the case for buildds
using schroot; this is only for sudo use.

> >   7) The log format used for build logs has been updated to use a more
> >      readable format, and is now encoded in UTF-8 rather than
> >      US-ASCII.  Code which parses the log file may need to be updated
> >      to handle the new format.  Further log format changes made in the
> >      future.
>
> Please do not touch the subject in any case.  This would break even more
> horribly than the log format changes themselves.

OK.

> >   9) The wanna-build configuration has moved from
> >      /etc/wanna-build/wanna-build.conf into /etc/sbuild/sbuild.conf as
> >      part of ongoing refactoring work.  It is expected that this will
> >      be split into a separate file in the future once this work is
> >      completed.
>
> Huh? Isn't that a layering violation again?

Partly.  We still preferentially parse wanna-build.conf instead of
sbuild.conf if it exists.  There are however a number of duplicated
options used in both files, and this was done to unify the parsing
code for those options.

This was done when the configuration and options parsing code was
modularised.  It will be split back up again as soon as this is
complete.  This is still completely backward compatible, but it does
allow us to update the internals and add new options while at the same
time keeping the old configuration around for people who just want it
to work.  We will probably need to do something similar when we do
the same refactoring work for buildd, though the

Once this work is complete, we will be undoing this temporary change.

Sorry, I should have been a bit more descriptive about this in the
notes.

> >   12) wanna-build changes from the official Debian wanna-build
> >       installation have been merged.
>
> They are?  Which revs are those?

We merged quite a number of changes from the mirror at
git.debian.org/git/mirror/wanna-build.git.  I don't have the specific
changesets, because I had to merge them by hand.  It doesn't contain
the Debian-specific configuration and other bits, but it does include
all of the code changes AFAICT.  IIRC, we are currently completely
up-to-date in this respect.

Regards,
Roger

--