[Buildd-tools-devel] Upgrades in the host system?

Cyril Brulebois cyril.brulebois at kerlabs.com
Mon Mar 16 20:23:43 UTC 2009

Roger Leigh <rleigh at codelibre.net> (16/03/2009):
> > | E: Can't remove /etc/sbuild/chroot/sid-amd64-sbuild: not a symbolic link
>
> This message is erroneous.  It didn't exist.  I'll fix that.

Alright.

> Now here we (inside the chroot, I hope) run apt-get update and then
> apt-get upgrade.
>
> > | I: Setting reference package list.
> > | I: Updating chroot.
> > | I: /usr/bin/apt-get update
> > | Réception de : 1 http://debian.kerlabs.com sid Release.gpg [197B]
> > | Réception de : 2 http://debian.kerlabs.com sid/main Translation-fr [652kB]
> > | Atteint http://debian.kerlabs.com sid Release
> > | Réception de : 3 http://debian.kerlabs.com sid/main Packages/DiffIndex [2038B]
> > | Réception de : 4 http://debian.kerlabs.com sid/main Sources [2759kB]
> > | 3412ko réceptionnés en 2s (1245ko/s)
> > | Lecture des listes de paquets...
> > | I: /usr/bin/apt-get -uy upgrade
> > | [Upgrade in host system.]
>
> From the above text, I'm not sure why you believe this is happening on
> the host system.  The intent is that this updates the package list
> inside the chroot, but from the information you have given, I can't
> say if it's on the host or inside the chroot.  What evidence did you
> have that it was on the host?
>
> > I won't have much time to investigate, but it looks to me like a bug
> > that ought to be fixed quickly so that people's systems don't get all
> > messed up.
>
> I will fix it ASAP if it's a bug; I just need the information to prove
> it's really happening on the host.  I did test this extensively back
> before the release of Lenny, and I only saw it update and upgrade the
> newly debootstrapped chroot.  I'm not saying it isn't buggy, just that
> I would like to be shown that it is before knowning what needs fixing!

Upgrading iodine, which is a package I installed on the host system, and
would never be installed within a chroot. (That's an IP over DNS
solution including both client and server.) The upgrade was made obvious
because I had it on hold so that my system's client matches the server's
version (running lenny). Stephane noticed the same because _gnome_ was
being installed in the newly created chroot. (and gnome is installed on
the host system.)

Maybe I'll be able to dig this later this evening.

Cheers,
--
Cyril Brulebois