[Buildd-tools-devel] schroot unionfs support

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Sat Mar 21 17:49:01 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 03:58:42PM +0100, Jan-Marek Glogowski wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> On Fri, 13 Mar 2009, Tim Abbott wrote:
>
> > I've been using the schroot unionfs support from [1] in one of the
> > production environments that I run for around 6 months now, and I've found
> > it to be much more pleasant than the LVM snapshot backend.  The biggest
> > benefits I've seen are much better parallel performance (creating an LVM
> > snapshot takes a few seconds, and is not parallelizable) and much less
> > disk is wasted when one leaks a chroot by failing to run "schroot -e".
>
> Never thought anyone except me is using it in production :-)
>
> > I was thinking about doing the work to update the original patch to
> > current schroot master and include the fixes that Waseem mentioned in his
> > post [2] so that this functionality can be merged.
>
> I already have a (giant) patch for schroot and sbuild, which make
> fs-union a "chroot-options" class inheriting from chroot_source and
> basically makes allmost all real chroot classes inherit from it.
>
> I'm unsing it with directory and loopback chroots, but it should work with
> block devices too.
>
> I have attached an archive with the new files, the git diffs and the git
> status files (schroot--sbuild.tar.bz2).

Hi,

Many thanks for the patch.  I'm slowly committing parts of it.

One think I'd just like to double check on is the copyright and
licensing of the code.  I noticed that some files contain

  Copyright © 2008 Landeshauptstadt München

rather than being copyrighted by yourself.  I'd just like to
confirm that the copyright holders are OK with the code being
licensed under the GPLv3+.

Many thanks,
Roger Leigh

--