[buildd-tools-devel] Unionfs support in schroot 1.4.6

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Sun Jul 4 22:19:44 UTC 2010

Hi Jan-Marek,

There have been quite a few changes in the last few releases,
most recently to the setup scripts.  Since I don't have a
kernel with unionfs/aufs support, could you possibly try the
latest git (schroot-1.4 branch) and confirm if union support
is still fully functional (for directory, block-device and
loopback chroot types)?

It may be that the recent setup script changes have broken
unionfs support, though the chance of this is small.  I'd
just like to be sure because I'd like to freeze what we
have for squeeze soon.

I've put a tarball here as well:
http://www.codelibre.net/~rleigh/schroot-1.4.6.tar.bz2

Are there any other improvements or changes you'd like to
make to the unionfs support prior to squeeze?  There was one
request for the ability to use multiple filesystems in the
underlay, in the list archives I think.  I'm not sure if the
extra complexity is worth it though?

The only other major thing I was considering is security
of sessions.  When we create a session it's currently
accessible by anyone who has access to the original
chroot (this flaw was pointed out by Tim Abbott last year).
It should be trivial to restrict access to the session
creator (which is the most common use case).  We don't
currently provide for a way to change access permissions
though.

Many thanks,
Roger

--