[buildd-tools-devel] Parallelising buildd

Philipp Kern pkern at debian.org
Thu Feb 24 00:25:18 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 11:42:47PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
> We would have a process tree like this:
>
>      ├─buildd─┬─buildd [do_build child 1]───sbuild
>      │        ├─buildd [do_build child 2]───sbuild
>      ┊        ┊
>      │        └─buildd [do_build child n]───sbuild

What's the advantage to forking, doing some bookkeeping and directly exec'ing
sbuild?  I would like to have a single buildd process around, not multiple
ones.  Killing the parent process should distribute the signal to its builder
childs properly.

Apart from that, if parallel=n is correctly weighted against the free space in
the LVM VG it should work and would be helpful on some buildds.  And maybe it
should behave similar to the old "spawn a second buildd instance if the
backlog is greater than N", i.e. increase parallel sbuild count if you can't
keep up.  It should also enable us to pass other build options, to
reduce parallelity in package builds when multiple sbuilds are spawned.
Otherwise the machine will either schedule or swap itself to death.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern