[buildd-tools-devel] BinNMU changelog handling for Multi-Arch: same packages

Neil Williams codehelp at debian.org
Thu Jul 12 04:17:52 UTC 2012

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 17:01:24 -0700
Russ Allbery <rra at debian.org> wrote:

> Raphael Hertzog <hertzog at debian.org> writes:
>
> > The right *temporary* solution then. Remember that this was meant as an
> > intermediary solution until the full changelog (with the bin-nmu entry)
> > is just integrated in the package medata (control.tar).

Please don't put that into the files used to prepare content for dpkg
-s and apt-cache - that output is large enough as it is. A single step
like this could seriously compromise package handling on low resource
machines and push apt passed it's memory mapping limits again even on
more powerful machines.

> Oh, yes, absolutely agreed.  Sorry for not making that clear.  Putting the
> changelog in the package metadata makes a ton of sense.  In fact, if we
> could also do that with the copyright file, that would eliminate nearly
> all of our issues with linked doc directories and would simplify a whole
> currently-contentious area of Policy, replacing it with a much simpler
> debate about the right interface to view those files for installed
> packages.

... and that would be even worse if not isolated from the status and
cache information at the point where it is unpacked.

Wherever the data lives inside the .deb is not the problem.

Where the data gets cached, copied, listed and parsed is likely to be a
major problem.

--

Neil Williams