[buildd-tools-devel] sbuild: multiarch build support

Dima Kogan dima at secretsauce.net
Mon Sep 1 06:38:34 UTC 2014

Geoffrey Thomas <geofft at ldpreload.com> writes:
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2014, Wookey wrote:
>
>> Comments on the code are welcome.
>
> Maybe these should be obvious, but I'm curious about these two things I
> don't understand:
>
> 1. As far as I can tell, while deps_parse returns a nested data structure,
> it can never return a _recursive_ data structure. It's parsing a single
> Build-Depends line, and not looking for dependencies of any build-depends,
> right? So you do get a data structure with AND and OR nodes, but nothing
> that should be more than two levels nested. Are you actually seeing
> recursion in practice?

Hi.

No, I never saw recursion in practice, but not being completely familiar
with this codebase it seemed prudent to be safe and eliminate any
possiblity of an infinite loop. I submitted a (more general) patch to
the Dpkg::Deps people, and they had the same question. I (or you) can
remove the recursion checks here if you like.

> 2. While we probably don't want to go this route, how does this differ
> from simply adding all architectures in the archive as foreign
> architectures, unconditionally? Is there a risk of builds pulling in
> cross-arch dependencies when not needed?

Sounds like it'd be fine to me, but others have more experience here.

dima