[buildd-tools-devel] schroot: fiddles with localhost entries in /etc/hosts creating duplicates

Santiago Vila sanvila at unex.es
Mon Jan 30 00:05:08 UTC 2017

reassign 842634 schroot
retitle 842634 schroot: fiddles with localhost entries in /etc/hosts creating duplicates
severity 842634 important
than

This could be a misconfiguration, yes, but not deliberately chosen by
the user, and it causes FTBFS bugs in other packages, so I don't think
"minor" is appropriate here.

Reassigning to schroot, which is the program creating duplicate entries.

Dear schroot maintainers, I'll summarize the bug:

On some machines, schroot mangles /etc/hosts as follows:

This is the original /etc/hosts from the host, which is mainly derived
from the one created by debian-installer:

127.0.0.1     localhost
192.168.1.101 myhostname

::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

And this is the /etc/hosts file after entering a chroot
with the schroot command:

127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.1.101   myhostname
127.0.0.1       localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback

The duplicate 127.0.0.1 entry makes some packages to FTBFS
(for example, rustc, the package from which this is being reassigned).

Please make schroot not to fiddle with /etc/hosts "more than required".

In particular, it should not convert a /etc/hosts file that allows rustc
to be built without errors into another one which does not allow
building rustc. For example, dropping ff02::1 and ff02::2 might be ok,
but converting ::1 into 127.0.0.1 is not.

Thanks.