[CJKUnifonts-devel] ukai and uming font metric

Zhuo Meng zhuomeng at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 15 20:38:22 CET 2006

Hi!

I downloaded the 20060928 release of the ukai and uming fonts and noticed that the metric of these two fonts is somewhat different from the original Arphic versions.

The width of the ukai font box (or character spacing) is slightly smaller and the height of the font box (or line spacing) is somewhat larger.

No apparent difference in width of the uming font box is noticed. But the height of the font box is larger and even larger than that of the ukai font.

I tried other CJK True Type Fonts I found on Windows and Linux and found that the width and height of the font box of different fonts are very consistent. The only exception is the Arial Unicode MS font whose font box height is taller than any other one but the width is still consistent with others.

I noticed the problem when I was trying to create an exercise sheet for practicing Chinese. I used that as the basis and created a PDF file containing 13 different CJK TTF fonts to illustrate the difference and consistency I mentioned above. It can be found at http://thunder.cwru.edu/~zhuo/fontcomp.pdf.

Can somebody explain the difference I noticed and whether it was intentional or something that can be updated?

Thanks,
-Zhuo Meng