[Collab-maint-devel] Re: offer of help with web interface

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Sun Jan 29 22:26:22 UTC 2006

Hi Justin,

since you authorized me to reply in public, I'll reply with a copy to the
new mailing list.

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006, justin randell wrote:
> hi Raphaël,

[...]
> > We should aim to quickly create a web interface for this. I don't know yet
> > how this interface should be made. I'm tempted to try Turbogears for this
> > project but I'd welcome your suggestions.
>
> i'm new to (but enjoying learning) python, but not new to programming,
> and i'd like to help out with the above tasks.
>
> please let me know the best way to go from here to start helping with them.

The project is only starting and we don't have many things yet, so we
don't have many precise tasks.

Please checkout the design page and check the code that I've already
written.
http://wiki.debian.org/CollaborativeMaintenance/Design

For the web interface, if we go with Turbogears as suggested, then you
need to look into "Cherrypy" and "kid" which are python extensions used to
build dynamic web pages. See packages python-cherrypy2.1 and kid.
(It's sad but Debian hasn't yet an official Turbogears package...)

The start of the web site should be a list of repositories (they are
described in the configuration file) and when you click on the repository
name, then a new page appears with the list of packages maintained within
that repository. The first page also has a possibility to check the
content of all repositories and/or the content of the selected
repositories (checkbox before each item).

The second web page needs to integrate several meta-informations about
each package and offer several grouping/sorting possibilities on several
criteria :
- is the version newer than what's in unstable ?
- distribution field mentionned by the changelog (UNRELEASED/stable)
- etc.

The best thing right now is to write up a basic design for that web
interface. Feel free to use the wiki for that purpose.

> feel free to forward this email any lists you think are appropriate.

Indirectly done by replying on the list.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog