[cut-team] CUT thoughts

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Tue Aug 17 08:26:18 UTC 2010

On 16/08/10 at 22:20 -0500, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 20:29, Joey Hess <joeyh at debian.org> wrote:
> > Anthony Towns wrote:
> >> For me, the proposals that I think will make this better for me are
> >> regular/frequent snapshots of testing and security support for them.
> >> That way I can directly install the most recent snapshot, set it up to
> >> automatically install security updates, and plan for functionality
> >> changes when the next CUT snapshot happens.
> > I've had limited time for CUT this week, but FWIW, aj and I seem to be
> > almost entirely on the same page about CUT.
>
> And from discussion, taking snapshots of testing every 3-6 months and
> "releasing" them to users seems fairly uncontroversial. So sounds like
> we can move forward with that while still discussing "rolling" and
> whatnot.

I agree that work could start on building those snapshots. But before
they are communicated to users, I think that we should have the global
picture behind it: should they be used as-is, or only to upgrade to
testing?

I think that one way to move foward would be to write a summary of
the discussion, and start an informal poll amongst all DDs to get the
state of mind of the project about the various alternatives, which are,
AFAICS:
- CUT snapshots for general use + security support
- CUT snapshots for installation then upgrade to rolling
- CUT snapshots for installation then upgrade to testing (+ changes to
  testing to make it suitable during freezes, for example)
Any volunteer (preferably from the "general use + security support"
side, to minimize bias) to work with me on that?

- Lucas