[cut-team] a user's perspective

Bruce Sass bmsass at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 18 00:32:46 UTC 2010

Hi,

I like the idea of a constantly usable Testing and taking snapshots of
it + select packages from Unstable to achieve that sounds great, but I
don't see the point of forking Testing and effectively lowering
standards (by fast tracking packages from Unstable, or worse yet,
Experimental) to get the "rolling" effect.

I think rolling should be positioned like this:

[Experimental >] Unstable > Testing > Rolling > Stable

Rolling would be fed by migrations from Testing in much the same way as
Testing is fed from Unstable, except that migrations which would break
stuff (e.g., transitions) would be blocked (reverse-hinting?)

A more descriptive name for Rolling would be:
Proposed-Stable or pre-Stable

Pros:
* no forking of packages
* work done on Rolling should always contribute to the next Stable
* users looking for something better than Testing and fresher than
Stable would be satisfied ( -> more users testing packages -> less RC
bugs in Stable)
* no incentive to upload packages not targeted for Stable to Unstable

Cons:
* not possible to have fresher software than what is in Testing
   no reason snapshots of Testing + select packages from Unstable
   can't address this issue
* there would be incentive to freeze Rolling prior to a Stable release
   To avoid freezing Rolling prior to a release a snapshot of Rolling
   could be made and worked on much like what was done in the days
   before Testing was created.

Side Effects:
* Testing would likely become little more than a designation where
packages wait for transitions to complete
* the Release Team would need to change where they do their work and
perhaps how it is done

Note: the Pros, Cons, and Side-effects mentioned are not intended to be
comprehensive, I think they address the significant concerns mentioned
in the cut-team mailing list archive

- Bruce