[cut-team] Where do we go from here?

Michael Gilbert michael.s.gilbert at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 16:50:58 UTC 2010

On Wed, 6 Oct 2010 12:24:59 -0400 (EDT), Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Oct 2010, Michael Gilbert wrote:

> >> So I don't think I've seen anyone else actually say "yes" here. Are
> >> testing snapshots DOA?
> >>
> >> I'm still interested, but not to the point of working through them on my own.
> >
> > After thinking about this some more, I am interested in testing
> > snapshots. My plan to put together a demonstration using the
> > squeeze alpha installer.  Basically, I'll just modify the apt sources
> > so that it installs a snapshot.d.o snapshot from the day that the
> > installer was released (Feb 21st 2010).
> >
> > That's rather straightforward and simple, so it can be done rather
> > quickly (when I find the time). The hard part for this approach is
> > setting up a mirror network for snapshot.d.o's squeeze snapshots. I'm
> > not a DD, so I can't do any work on that, but its really needed if
> > snapshots were to become popular.
>
> If you need a high bandwidth place to drop a bunch of files, find me and
> we'll see if we can find a nice .edu that would be friendly. (Answer is,
> "Almost definitely yes.")

OK, great!  Thanks for the offer.  So, thinking about this again, the
only thing that needs to be mirrored is actually the specifically
supported snapshot (no reason to duplicate all of snapshot.d.o).  So
really, all you would need to do is copy the directory structure for a
specific snapshot date. I was thinking about using [0], which adds a
buffer of one day after the installer release. However, since this is
just a demonstration, I don't see a need to set up mirrors just yet.

Best wishes,
Mike

[0] http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20100222T220235Z/