[cut-team] CUT discussion summary for -project@

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Sun Sep 5 10:36:45 UTC 2010

On 05/09/10 at 11:44 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> All in all, at this stage of development, I consider important starting
> to have something visible, without committing too much on a specific
> policy. The implementation plan proposed by aj seems quite neutral: as
> it is observed at the beginning of that document, it can be easily
> changed to follow "rolling" instead of "testing". If there are more
> important technical commitments made by that plan, I confess I don't see
> them; please correct me if I'm missing something.
>
> My main perplexity is with advertising a suite called "snapshot" form
> day-1, as it is a name that already conveys the idea of a "dumb"
> snapshot, a concept that can stick around in people minds. I propose to
> call the visible suite "rolling" since the very beginning. After all,
> even "dumb" periodic snapshots are "rolling", it is only their frequency
> which is (way) more coarse grained ...

If that suite is used for installation purposes, I don't think that it
should use the "rolling" name, because each new release of "rolling"
would then require doing minimal QA on the installer. So we would be
very limited on how much we reduce the frequency of "rolling" updates.

So I would very much prefer the suite to be called "snapshot" or "cut".

> All that notwithstanding, I think it's important to send a summary (but
> not a poll) on -project of the various possible policies, inviting
> interested people to join this list for discussing them. The entry
> barrier of subscribing to a new list is high enough to get only
> motivated people pop-up here, IMO.

While the "snapshot" idea has low impact on other teams (only ftpmasters
as long as security support is not provided), the "rolling" idea clearly
has a lot more implications, and I don't think that we should go forward
with that idea before making sure that DDs would agree to do the minimal
work required from them.

- Lucas