[cut-team] snapshot frequency

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Fri Sep 10 10:01:39 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 02:03:59PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> So, Aj's proposal suggests an upgrade frequency for cut snapshots of 3
> to 6 months. That felt sort of right to me because when I was managing
> d-i releases, 3 to 6 months was about how frequently we were able to do
> it.
>
> But, what if a new cut snapshot were made every month, say on the first
> Saturday of the month?

I agree that would be a good idea. Not only for the reasons you
mentioned, but also because something like "the 1st Saturday of the
month" is a very clear policy for users.

Regarding aj worries, I believe they are fairly orthogonal to this
choice. For instance, in the rolling scenario in which users use CUT
only to "jump in testing", there's already an implicit assumption that
periodic upgrades are not too disruptive. In fact, if such a model
become popular among users, it will also be an incentive for maintainers
to ensure that relevant side information that we usually put in release
notes is also put in places visible *during* the upgrade (i.e. debconf,
README.News, etc.). If that works, it will also improve the smoothness
of upgrades between usual stable releases.

Just my 0.02€,
Cheers.

ti resta John Fante -- V. Caposella .......| ..: |.......... -- C. Adams