[cut-team] testing-based rolling releases: the case of linux mint

Asheesh Laroia paulproteus at debian.org
Fri Sep 10 14:08:04 UTC 2010

On Thu, 9 Sep 2010, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> For unrelated reasons, today I've been pointed to this:
>
>  http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1527
>
> which announced a testing-based Debian derivative distribution called
> Linux Mint Debian.
>
> I confess I haven't yet had the time to look at the details, but since
> it seems pretty relevant to CUT, and given that TTBOMK it hasn't been
> mentioned yet on this list, it just occurred to me to do that myself
>
> I've already invited the developers to participate into
> -derivatives at lists.d.o. If they pop up there discussing the matter, I'll
> let this list know.

I emailed the developer also (seems there's only one?) --
root at linuxmint.com.

I got back a friendly reply but one that said that he wasn't interested in
joining more mailing lists.

He's unaware of technical problems with using "testing" (such as missing
packages, and so forth). I humbly believe we should create "rolling" right
now with slightly different migration criteria, not bother with snapshots
yet, and see how well that works for Linux Mint as a base.

If it works well, we can then consider what kinds of snapshots would
make Debian rolling installable.

I'm hanging out on their #linuxmint-debian IRC channel, going forward,
anyway.

-- Asheesh.