[cut-team] snapshot frequency

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Sat Sep 11 07:41:21 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 02:03:59PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > So, Aj's proposal suggests an upgrade frequency for cut snapshots of 3
> > to 6 months. That felt sort of right to me because when I was managing
> > d-i releases, 3 to 6 months was about how frequently we were able to do
> > it.
> >
> > But, what if a new cut snapshot were made every month, say on the first
> > Saturday of the month?
>
> I agree that would be a good idea. Not only for the reasons you
> mentioned, but also because something like "the 1st Saturday of the
> month" is a very clear policy for users.

So would be "the 1 saturday of march, june, september and december".
IOW, the frequency doesn't play a role here.

IMO we should set the frequency considering two facts:
- how much work are we ready to do to push security updates in CUTs
  once-released
  => the more frequent the snapshots, the less work it is
  for this
- how much work are we ready to do to prepare installation
  media
  => the more frequent the snapshots, the more work it is for this

Ideally, I think it would be best if it could match a ryhthm compatible
with d-i's development and I have the feeling that every 2 or 3 months
would be better on this regard.

So my personal preference would be on this level.

Also it matches more closely the rhythm of new kernel upstream release
which actually bring better hardware support to the new installation
media.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer ◈ [Flattr=20693]

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)