[cut-team] Rethinking CUT

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Sun Sep 12 16:54:10 UTC 2010

On 11/09/10 at 14:18 -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Michael Gilbert wrote:
> > Agreed.  That is certainly true today.  In the same vain, I would say
> > that CUT itself isn't constantly usable today either (since it doesn't
> > exist). However, with some work, I think both could get there, but by
> > focusing on testing itself, we would be improving an existing
> > well-established/important part of the Debian ecosystem; rather than
> > diverting resources to something new and leaving the existing
> > infrastructure with problems that could be fixed.
>
> I'm not sure where you get the idea that CUT is something different than
> testing, or something that takes focus away from testing. Constantly
> Usable Testing is still, well, testing.

I think that putting it like that causes a lot of misunderstanding.  CUT
is not testing. CUT is about generating snapshots from testing.
Actually, it should be "Constantly Usable Testing Snapshots". It doesn't
really increase the usability of Testing itself, since it is (mostly)
working around deficiencies of testing by doing snapshots.

- Lucas