[cut-team] Rethinking CUT

Joey Hess joeyh at debian.org
Sun Sep 12 22:43:54 UTC 2010

Michael Gilbert wrote:
> But that is the solution proposed in your manifesto and the one
> currently with the most traction (based on recent discussion between you
> and Anthony Towns).  So, from a high-level perspective, right now it
> seems that CUT itself is a testing snapshots project.

The advantage of working on producing snapshot cuts of testing first,
before working on any of the other 4 requirements/metrics of constantly
usable testing that are discussed in my manifesto, or other ones that
have been discussed, is that a snapshot release is something concrete
that users can download and use. Producing snapshot releases until
squeeze becomes stable is an achievable goal, which is relatively easy
to plan for. It lets us make a commitment to users, without committing
the whole project to something it might not be ready for, and with an
easy way out for users if things go wrong (upgrade to stable squeeze).

It gets the ball rolling, and make no mistake, there is considerable
inertia to overcome.

--
see shy jo