[cut-team] Where do we go from here?

Joey Hess joeyh at debian.org
Thu Sep 23 18:48:24 UTC 2010

Michael Gilbert wrote:
> So, I think that the core problem for rolling is that:
>
>   1. Packages in testing sometimes disappear.
>
> I think there are at least three options that could address this; both
> with advantages and disadvantages.
>
>   a. New "rolling" suite that retains testing removals
>      - advantage: easy to install
>      - disadvantage: split user base / split developer effort
>      - disadvantage: very little difference wrt to testing, so why have
>        a whole new suite?
>
>   b. New "testing-removals" or "testing-backports" suite that contains
>      only missing testing packages (and their dependencies), which are
>      manually recompiled from unstable (just like stable backports
>      gets recompiled testing packages)
>      - advantage: no splitting of user base or developer effort
>      - advantage: a whole lot less duplication
>      - advantage: only stuff that has an interested backporter gets kept
>      - disadvantage: more manual work since each package needs a
>        backporter
>
>   c. Scripts for mixing and matching testing snapshots that once had
>      the now removed packages from snapshot.d.o
>      - advantage: no new suites needed
>      - advantage: infrastructure already exists
>      - disadvantage: scripts don't exist
>      - disadvantage: may be hard to come up with a user-friendly/robust
>        tools

I also feel that something like that addresses the same problem with
less work, I previously suggested something similar:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/cut-team/2010-September/000092.html

It doesn't address the problem of testing falling out of date during a
freeze. I think that is the main thing that people interested in rolling
really want to deal with. With that said, I think it'd be ok to start
out providing CUT to users while testing is frozen -- it will mean less
work is involved at first.

--
see shy jo