[cut-team] For discussion: security support strategy for the wheezy kernel

Michael Gilbert michael.s.gilbert at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 20:55:03 UTC 2011

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 20:30:47 +0000 Ben Hutchings wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-02-19 at 14:59 -0500, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> > On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 19:32:08 +0000 Ben Hutchings wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > I thought that users interested in new stuff were supposed to run CUT.
> >
> > Most packages will in fact be new, just the kernel and reverse
> > dependencies will be held back.  Hence CUT users will get 99% new
> > stuff (with respect to stable), and a tiny bit held back simply for
> > stability. Like I've said a couple times now, its a balancing act.
> >
> > All I'm asking for is a few month long experiment.  And if the
> > experiment shows signs of flaws/weaknesses, then the blocker can
> > certainly be lifted.
>
> If an experiment is to have any validity, the hypothesis and the
> criteria for assessing the outcome must be decided in advance.  If you
> can do that, perhaps you will persuade some people that this is worth
> doing.

Hypothesis 1: using an older kernel in testing results in fewer vulnerabilities

  Criteria: fewer vulnerabilities in lenny than squeeze during squeeze testing cycle
  Evidence: lenny's kernel was vulnerable to 67% of the vulnerabilities that squeeze
  Conclusion: hypothesis verified

  Criteria: fewer vulnerabilities in squeeze than wheezy during wheezy testing cycle
  Evidence: to be collected # vulnerabilities in squeeze and wheezy
  Conclusion: to be determined

Hypothesis 2: using an older kernel version makes less work to provide CUT

  Criteria: how often CUT target release date is met
  Evidence: to be collected monthly release date by retaining 2.6.32 and monthly
            for standard unstable->testing transitions
            (note: requires a 2.6.32-only period for reference)
  Conclusion: to be determined

I can't imagine anyone else being put through such a arduous process
to try an experiment for a couple months.  Why does it have to be so
difficult?

Best wishes,
Mike