[cut-team] For discussion: security support strategy for the wheezy kernel

Ben Hutchings ben at decadent.org.uk
Sat Feb 19 21:39:03 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-02-19 at 15:55 -0500, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 20:30:47 +0000 Ben Hutchings wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2011-02-19 at 14:59 -0500, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> > > On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 19:32:08 +0000 Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Most packages will in fact be new, just the kernel and reverse
> > > dependencies will be held back.  Hence CUT users will get 99% new
> > > stuff (with respect to stable), and a tiny bit held back simply for
> > > stability. Like I've said a couple times now, its a balancing act.
> > >
> > > All I'm asking for is a few month long experiment.  And if the
> > > experiment shows signs of flaws/weaknesses, then the blocker can
> > > certainly be lifted.
> >
> > If an experiment is to have any validity, the hypothesis and the
> > criteria for assessing the outcome must be decided in advance.  If you
> > can do that, perhaps you will persuade some people that this is worth
> > doing.
>
> Hypothesis 1: using an older kernel in testing results in fewer vulnerabilities
>
>   Criteria: fewer vulnerabilities in lenny than squeeze during squeeze testing cycle
>   Evidence: lenny's kernel was vulnerable to 67% of the vulnerabilities that squeeze
>   Conclusion: hypothesis verified
>
>   Criteria: fewer vulnerabilities in squeeze than wheezy during wheezy testing cycle
>   Evidence: to be collected # vulnerabilities in squeeze and wheezy
>   Conclusion: to be determined

This experiment does not require that the propagation of kernel packages
into testing is changed.

> Hypothesis 2: using an older kernel version makes less work to provide CUT
>
>   Criteria: how often CUT target release date is met
>   Evidence: to be collected monthly release date by retaining 2.6.32 and monthly
>             for standard unstable->testing transitions
>             (note: requires a 2.6.32-only period for reference)
>   Conclusion: to be determined

OK, that's a real experiment.  However I suspect there will be many
confounding factors that make it difficult to single out any one cause
for delays.

> I can't imagine anyone else being put through such a arduous process
> to try an experiment for a couple months.  Why does it have to be so
> difficult?

Because this experiment would involve many thousands of users, and you
have to convince other developers that the benefit to these users may be
worth the cost.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings