[cut-team] Using the CUT ftp server

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Mon Feb 28 08:12:03 UTC 2011

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> Finally, since my implementation is so highly conservative, I wonder
> what it is that makes it "at odds" with the CUT team's goals?  My

If you start advertising your experiment as "CUT", we risk confusing
people even more about what we want to achieve with CUT. There's a lot
of communication work to be done to make CUT a reality and if you come
out and say "this is CUT", you'll make it harder for those of us who have
more ambitious goals with CUT.

> impression is that no one has yet looked at the technical
> implementation (which is incredibly simple BTW).  Without that, the

I already said that I don't think that driving users towards
snapshot.debian.org is a good idea. snapshot.debian.org is a useful
resource but not one that we should be abusing by making many users
implicit users of that resource.

> I would really appreciate it if those expressing such strong sentiment
> were interested in directing some of that energy toward understanding
> and contributing to the technical matter.  I think we could accomplish a
> lot more if that were the case.

Sure, I understand this and I'm sorry for this. I have been busy with
other Debian projects but I will try to find some time to work towards
CUT and rolling. But that work will start with discussing with the release
managers...

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer