[D-community-discuss] Hey Ho Let's Go! (aka reviving debian-community.org)

Francesca Ciceri madamezou at zouish.org
Sat Feb 11 11:11:39 UTC 2012

Hi,
I'm Francesca and I'm definitely new on the list (if it still works!).
I stumbled upon the debian-community.org project a couple of days ago,
while working on a new "How to contribute" page for the Debian website,
and I was quite amazed by the project, as we really need to fill the gap
between DD/DM/regular-contributors and Debian users.
I think that the right way to fill this gap could be not "create" new
communities, but find a way to better connect *existent* community.
And debian-community.org could be exactly the link between the Debian
project and the Debian users groups.

So, nothing new uh? These are almost the same words used by Holger in
www.debian-community.org [1] website presenting the project. :)

But, what we know about existing Debian communities? Really a little.
Alexander (eof) and Stefano (zack) pointed me to a list of Debian users
group [2]. The list is old and surely incomplete, but it's a starting
point.
I'm working on improve it and trying to do a census of communities and
this could be a first step.
Another step, IMO, is to contact people from these communities, pinging
them and ask if they'd like to join us in this list, to discuss about how
improve communication between Debian and its users.
Talking about Debian users communities, isn't clear if we intend only
local Real-Life communities or also web communities: I'm not sure about
it, what do you think?
Anyway a good idea could be take a look at Ubuntu Lo-Co infrastructure
[3].

These are the first step I could think about: I've added them to a little
todo list on titanpad [4], feel free to add further
comment/points/whatever. (I love lists!)

Cheers,
Francesca

[1] http://oldwww.debian-community.org/
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/LocalGroups